Lafayette IN Slip and Fall Lawyer
An unexpected accident on a slippery floor, broken sidewalk, or icy parking lot can result in serious injuries. These injuries may also give rise to significant medical bills and the need for years of physical therapy or other medical treatment. You may be unable to work, or become disabled. A Lafayette IN slip and fall lawyer at Hall-Justice Law Firm will listen to your story and help you move forward with a personal injury claim. Call us today at (765) 742-2987.
Establishing Liability an Indiana Slip and Fall Case
A slip and fall accident is a type of premises liability case. Premises liability indicates that the person responsible for the property – often an owner or manager – may be responsible for injuries sustained on that property. However, premises liability cases are difficult to prove. A skilled Lafayette IN slip and fall lawyer can evaluate your case and help you make a claim.
If you’re injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, the property owner may be responsible for your medical bills and other losses. Property owners and managers owe a duty to visitors, tenants, and other people who are on their property to upkeep property in a safe condition. If they know, or should have known, about a dangerous situation that caused you to be injured, they may be liable.
What You Need in Order to Prove Negligence
In order to prove that a property owner or manager was negligent, you must be able to prove that the property condition was dangerous. You must also prove that the property owner or manager:
- knew, or should have known, about the dangerous situation; and
- had an opportunity to correct or warn of the dangerous condition and failed to take action.
The Defendant’s lawyer will try to blame you for falling. A Lafayette IN slip and fall lawyer can help you develop a strong case for negligence.
Who Can File a Slip and Fall Claim?
If you sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident in Indiana, you may be able to file a claim with the property owner’s insurance company or a lawsuit against the owner personally. However, the duty that a property owner or manager owes to you depends on your status on that property in question. A Lafayette IN slip and fall lawyer can answer your questions about who may file a claim.
There are three types of slip and fall victims:
- Invitees – Property invitees are people who are at a location for the mutual economic benefit of both themselves and the property owner or manager. Invitees usually have a business purpose for being on a property. This includes customers, associates, and business partners.
- Licensees – A licensee is a social visitor to a property who has been invited by the property owner or manager. This may include party goers, peers from school, friends, and family members.
- Trespassers – A trespasser is a person who is not legally on property. A trespasser is on property without the permission of the owner or manager. However, in some situations, a property owner or manager may be aware of trespassers, especially children or homeless individuals.
Property owners and managers owe the highest level of duty to invitees and licensees. Although they owe a lower level of duty to trespassers, there are situations where a property owner or manager may be liable for injuries sustained by a trespasser. A Lafayette IN slip and fall lawyer can evaluate your status on a property and determine the level of duty owed to you.
A Lafayette IN Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help
The Lafayette IN slip and fall lawyer at Hall-Justice Law Firm will work with clients on an array of different types of slip and fall cases, including the following:
- Spilled liquids at businesses
- Grocery store accidents
- Icy parking lots and walkways
- Wet floors
- Workplace injuries
- Many other slip and fall accidents
Proving these cases requires obtaining evidence at the location of your slip and fall, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and often seeking input from expert witnesses.
Contact the Hall-Justice Law Firm Today
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, contact a Lafayette IN slip and fall lawyer to walk you through the claims process. Call Hall-Justice Law Firm today at (765) 742-2987.