Lafayette IN Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car crash, you need a Lafayette IN car accident lawyer to help you navigate the personal injury claims process to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. A car accident can result in serious injuries and major losses. You may have no idea where to start. We can help. Call Hall-Justice Law Firm today at (765) 388-3142 for a free case evaluation.
Compensation After a Car Crash
Car crashes can result in serious injuries and significant losses. A Lafayette car accident lawyer can help you obtain compensation for those losses so that you can move forward with your life after a crash.
Compensation you may be able to obtain includes past and future:
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Physical limitations
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage
- Car rental and towing
An insurance company may make you a low-ball settlement offer after a car crash. However, you deserve to receive compensation for your losses. Seek the advice of a Lafayette IN car accident attorney to make sure you obtain enough funds to recover after a collision.
What to Do After a Car Accident
After a car accident, you should immediately seek medical help. Even if you don’t feel injured right away, many people experience injuries days or weeks after the event. If you are able to get out of the car and move around, you should gather as much information as possible. Make sure you get the name and contact information of the other driver and any witnesses. You should take pictures of the scene and write an account of what happened. Call the police and make an official report of the crash.
As soon as you’re able, you should contact a Lafayette car accident lawyer to start the claims process. Insurance companies may contact you, but you should decline comment until you’ve spoken with an experienced car accident attorney.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents may be caused by driver error, mechanical malfunction, or environmental situations. Common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted drivers – Cell phone use while driving is an increasing problem; however, doing anything else while driving can also cause a wreck. Eating, reading, talking, and operating the radio can also cause distractions.
- Drunk driving – It is illegal to drive while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol. Operating a vehicle while under the influence can cause serious accidents.
- Driver fatigue – Drowsy driving often causes accidents early in the morning and late at night.
- Speeding – Driving above the speed limit can prevent drivers from having proper control over a vehicle.
- Reckless or aggressive driving – Drivers who experience road rage often tailgate, fail to obey traffic laws, and lose control of their vehicles.
- Failure to obey traffic signals – Failure to follow signage and traffic lights can result in confusion on the roadways.
- Failure to follow traffic laws – Laws are in place to protect people on the road. When laws are not followed, accidents can occur.
- Defective parts – When cars have defective parts, such as brakes or taillights, they can become involves in accidents easily. This may involve a claim against the designer, manufacturer, or seller of the vehicle.
- Potholes and broken roads – Road hazards often cause drivers to lose control of their cars.
- Construction zones – Orange barrels warn of hazards that can cause dangerous situations on the road.
It’s important to determine the cause of your crash so you can determine liability. A Lafayette IN car accident attorney will thoroughly investigate your situation and help you establish fault after a crash.
Car Accident Injuries
According to the Indiana University Public Policy Institute, there were 223,734 collisions reported to law enforcement in 2016. Of those, more than 48,000 resulted in injuries. Common injuries that occur in car accidents often include:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries – Because there is little protection for your head, skull and brain injuries are common in car accidents. You may be thrown forward and hit your head on the steering wheel or dashboard during a crash.
- Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries – Car crashes put enormous force on bodies in vehicles. This force can cause whiplash and other injuries to vertebrae.
- Internal damage – Internal organs are often damaged during crashes due to severe force and the body being moved violently.
- Soft tissue damage – Bumps, bruises, and lacerations can result from minor or serious impacts between vehicles. These can result in severe bleeding and blood loss.
A Lafayette IN Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Insurance companies have large teams of lawyers on their side, and none of them want to pay you money. They are not your friend. They may try to settle your claim for less than it’s worth. If you or a loved one are involved in a crash, you should seek the help of a Lafayette IN car accident lawyer right away. We will investigate your situation and help you obtain the compensation that you deserve. Call Hall-Justice Law Firm today at (765) 388-3142.